Gattuso signs new Milan deal

MILAN - Italy midfielder Gennaro Gattuso - linked with moves to Chelsea and Manchester City - has signed a new deal with AC Milan until June 2012, the Serie A club said in a statement on Monday.

Media reports had suggested City were interested in Gattuso after the 31-year-old said last month he was unhappy with the amount of playing time he was getting under coach Leonardo.

Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani acknowledged Gattuso could leave but the player has now committed to the Rossoneri after talks with Galliani and Leonardo.

Gattuso has suffered a series of injuries since the 2006 World Cup and his place in Milan's three-man midfield will come under further pressure in January when David Beckham joins again on a six-month loan from Los Angeles Galaxy.